Baselines & Detox
Recording baselines is a standard approach to behavior modification.
And Detox is how alcoholics and drug addicts are weaned from their addictions.
You may not think that you need detox. But, if you are obese, and if your
problem is flour and sugar, then I offer that you do need detox. Simply
stated, a detox is a gradual "tapering off."
As far as I know, for the time being, you're mostly on your own here.
BUT, unless some bus runs over me and stops me, I plan to add a series of tools
to this web site to help you with this. Till then, here are some basic
tips and ideas:
Starting with Baselines
- Create a baseline grid using spreadsheet such as Excel to create a 7x8
grid. The 7 columns are the days of the week, with the first based on
your start date (could be Friday, for example). The 8 rows are the day
divided into three hour segments. See, also,
How I Quit Smoking.
- Eat as you normally do for at least one week. One grid per week if
more than one week. Or, you can use a grid like
this one. Each time you eat Flour or Sugar, as defined in
Key Concept, or a "trigger food" (for
example, frozen dairy in any form, even non-fat,
sugar free yogurt is a trigger for the webmaster), count that as an INSTANCE
on your baseline grid.
- Keep a food diary at this time, too. Track your bodyweight (and
other vitals if you wish),
calculate your BMI, make any other measurements (bust/chest, waist, hips,
whatever). Note especially calories & carbs.
Click here to find out more about this.
Setting Up a Plan
- Use any of several sources to calculate your
ideal calories and carbs for
You may even want to consider your
BMI (Body Mass Index).
- Create a plan that "stair steps" you from how you currently eat to your
- For example, if you currently consume:
- 3000 calories a day
- 320g of carbs daily
- 4 instances of flour and sugar daily
- ...and you know that your target is, say, 1800 calories a day, 40g of
carbs, and 0 instances of flour and sugar daily, then you can "stair step" via
Six (6) Levels:
Example of a Six Level "Stair Step" Detox from Flour and Sugar
- Here's an example of a Six Level "stair step" detox from flour & sugar:
- Level 1 2700 calories per day, 290g of carbs, and 3
instances of flour and sugar. Make sure you can maintain this for at
least TWO weeks. Continue to keep your grids (the 7x8).
- If you eat four (4) or more instances of Flour or Sugar on any day at
this point you do not progress to the next level.
- If you do eat more than three (3) instances Flour or Sugar, identify
"trigger foods," particular restaurants, helpful "friends" who lead you
astray, social events & gatherings, travel, interactions with relatives,
"unhelpful" members of support groups, or anything that may have sabotaged
- Formulate strategies to deal with these. Restart!
- Level 2 Repeat the above process for 2400 calories
per day, 260g of carbs, and two (2) instances of Flour and Sugar per day
- Again, make sure you can maintain this for at least TWO weeks.
Continue to keep your grids (the 7x8).
- If you fail once at this level, restart at this level.
- Continue to keep your grids. Carefully observe people, places,
and things that try to throw you off.
- If you fail more than once at this level, restart at the first
level (2700 calories per day, 300g of carbs per day, and a maximum of
3 instances of Flour/Sugar per day).
- Level 3 Repeat the process of the second level for 2200
calories per day, 230 g of carbs per day, and a maximum of one (1) instance
of flour/sugar per day.
- If you fail once, stay at this level.
- If you fail two or more times, go back to the previous level.
- If you STOP keeping your grids, you must
restart the entire process with new baselines. Keep your old grids,
though, and your descriptions of people, places & things. Use them
to identify what didn't work and re-formulate your plan.
- Level 4 Repeat the process of the third level for 2000
calories per day, 200 g of carbs per day, and a maximum of four (4)
instances of Flour/Sugar per week (with no more than one (1) per day).
- Level 5 Repeat the process of the third level for 1900
calories per day, 190 g of carbs per day, and a maximum of two (2) instances
of Flour/Sugar per week (with no more than one (1) per day).
- Level 6 Repeat the process of the third level for 1800
calories per day and 160g of carbs.
- Note that all of these numbers are hypothetical and that
you must tailor
the system to fit yourself.
Other Notes and Comments about the Example
- Note, also, that you'll need about 14 weeks to accomplish this.
- If you start this as a part of Lent then you'll find that
you'll be at your target level by about Easter.
- If you're doing this for "Bikini Season" you should notice a significant
change in your bodyweight by May or June.
- Notice that the plan does NOT focus on something you cannot directly
change (your bodyweight, unless you have liposuction) but DOES focus on what
you can change (what you choose to eat).
- You'll also have a good picture of what people, places, and things cause
- What happens if you get "stuck" on Level 4 or Level 5
"forever"? Well, that depends on many things. If you started at
250 lb., 70 lb. overweight, and are now at, say, 200 lb. (50 lb. loss) and are
still losing weight (even a 1/2 pound a week), then maybe this is what works
for you. The key question is, "Is It Working?"
- BUT, if you are addicted to Flour and Sugar, for the reasons
described in The Key Concept, you'll want to
persist in eliminating them.